Features of the best masking tape for automotive painting
Five are the characteristics of the best masking tape for automotive painting: resistance to high temperatures, easy removal without traces, easy to tear, conformability to curved lines, compatible with the most common paints.
Here is what we are going to talk about in this article:
In order to get the best result when painting and refinishing the bodywork of a vehicle, every body shop must rely on the best tools and materials. This means choosing always the best automotive masking tape, but how can you recognize the best masking tape for automotive painting?
Here are PPM’s professional advises: to choose the best masking tape, you need to consider some of the most important features, such as its resistance to heat or an easy hand-tearibility. We are explaining all of them in the post below.
5 essential features of the best automotive masking tapes
5 are the main features that distinguish the best automotive masking tape from all other standard tapes:
- Temperature resistance
- Easy removal
- Easy tearibility
- Conformability to curves
- Compatibility to a large range of paints.
1 – Temperature resistance
The best masking tape must withstand the high temperatures reached by booths or infrared lamps: this means that it must not come off, fall, slide along the surface of the body, crumble or have other behaviors that could ruin the result of painting.
2 – Easy removal
It is very important that the masking tape, once removed, leaves no traces of glue on the shock. In the same way, it is essential that when you remove it, you do not take off any parts of the bodywork paint, and that the edges result clean and clean.
3 – Easy tearibility by hand
During a painting and finishing of the body work, having to cut the masking tape with scissors slows down the pace of work, it is dangerous and uncomfortable too. That’s why the best masking tape for automotive painting can easily be broken with your hands, even into very small pieces.
4 – Conformability to curves
The lines that define the shapes of the bodywork are only in very small part straight lines: mostly, automotive painting is about turning around curved lines. As a result, it is of fundamental importance that the masking tape is easy to lay down even where it has to follow curved trajectories.
5 – Compatibility to various paints
Finally, the best masking tape for automotive painting is the one that fits without any problem to all types of most common paints, primers and fillers. This means that the adhesion is always impeccable – even when using water-based paints – and that the shape and characteristics of the tape do not change during the application of the paint, but always remain at their top.
PPM’s best masking tape for automotive
At PPM we have been dedicating years and experience to the study and development of the best masking tapes. Here are our 3 best products.
- 3010 – High Grade Body Shop Masking Tape: designed for automotive refinishing and nautical applications with high temperature drying cycles of up to 90°C (60 min.) or 110°C (30 min.), 3010 is particularly suitable when high adhesion is required.
- 3410 – Waterproof Body Shop Masking Tape: particularly suitable for applications where high adhesion is required; thanks to its waterproof properties, it is ideal when water-based paints are used. 3410 also guarantees one-hour resistance at 90°C or half an hour with 110°C.
- 3610 – AquaColor Body Shop Masking Tape: our premium waterproof and high temperature masking tape. 3610 is especially designed for painting in humid or proper wet conditions. It guarantees an excellent resistance to moisture, water and solvent base paints.
- 5040 – Precision Line Body Shop Masking Tape: the best tape for clean, razor sharp lines. Thanks to its conformability, 5040 is suitable for small and curved body parts like profiles, bumpers, head & bottom lights and car handles.
And if you’d like to know more about how we operate as automotive masking tape manufacturers, I suggest you read this article.