How to use carpet tape: everything you need to know
Using carpet tape might seem like an easy enough task. However, whether you’re a professional or a DIY user, there are a few things that you should keep in mind before going for it, in order to make sure you provide the best application possible. PPM is here to show you how to use carpet tape properly and to present you its range of double sided tape.
Before using carpet tape: what is it and what is it used for?
Before we get into the specifics of how to use carpet tape, we should go over the basics first: what is carpet adhesive tape? What is it used for?
Carpet tape is a pressure sensitive tape with adhesive on both its sides, that is specifically designed to secure carpets to different surfaces – like tile or concrete, for example – temporarily or permanently, providing great adhesion and easy removal with no residue.
Carpet tape, thanks to its versatility, can be used in many different sectors and for many different purposes. Here are a few examples:
- Gyms and physical therapy centers, to put in place mats and foam rubber flooring squares;
- Hotels, museums, galleries, and airports, for carpeting, entrance mats, temporary flooring, and no slip mats;
Industrial and commercial activities, to hold rubber floor runners, plastic drop cloths, temporary rugs, non conductive mats, and anti-fatigue mats.
PPM’s selection of carpet tape
First things first: when using carpet tape, the first thing you need to do is get yourself the right type of tape for the job. PPM offers a selection of carpet tapes that are secure and very easy to use:
- 8050 Carpet Double-sided Film Tape: this high-performance double sided non oriented clear polypropylene carpet tape – ideal for both professional and home use – is specifically designed to securely fasten carpets, mats and other flooring materials. It easily sticks to different surfaces and – thanks to its three-layered structure – it features a great mechanical resistance which makes it easy to remove without breaking.
- 8226 General Purpose Double-sided Fabric Tape: this professional double-sided carpet tape is made with a BOPP carrier and a synthetic gauze. It guarantees great adhesion to different materials for a prolonged period of time and yet it’s easy to remove without breaking or leaving any residue or damage.
How to use carpet tape like a pro
Now that you have a full background knowledge on carpet tape and know which double sided tapes are most fit for the job, we can proceed with how to use it. In order to install the carpet correctly, here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure you’re applying on a clean surface. Dust and dirt can prevent the adhesive from sticking properly;
- Position the carpet to fit the area you want to cover;
- Roll half the carpet back onto itself and tape the perimeter of the exposed area. Leave the protective liner on the tape for now and roll the carpet back down;
- Do the same with the other side of the carpet;
- Remove the carpet and apply tape in X shapes from one side of the perimeter to the other, in order to connect all angles;
- Gently peel the backing and put the carpet onto the tape;
- Walk over the carpet or run a carpet roller over the entire area, especially the perimeter, to ensure the carpet and tape stick together.
Whether you’re applying carpet tape on hardwood floors, laminate floors, cork floors, tile, concrete, vinyl floorings or asphalt, you can rest assured that PPM’s double sided tapes will guarantee a clean and well done job, without any damage to the surface.
If you’d like to know more about how to use carpet tape and PPM’s selection of double sided tape, contact us! We will gladly answer all of your questions.