In recent years, double-sided tape has been slowly but surely replacing glue, when it comes to fastening and mounting, both temporarily and permanently, in building and construction works of all sorts. Why? Because it’s faster to apply, holds to perfection, doesn’t make a mess and it’s easier to remove.
In this article, we will talk about:
Double-sided tape has one main great advantage: it’s specifically designed to stick two surfaces together, in a way that is not visible in the final product. The tape perfectly “hides” between the objects, which allows for neater-looking projects and well-finished craftsmanship. Compared to glue, for example, it’s definitely easier and cleaner to apply.
Applying double-sided tape on a surface might seem easy at first, but it's a job that requires extreme precision. So, how does it work?
1. First of all, since this tape has a double adhesive surface, you should cut the piece you need to use and remove it from its backing material – which preserves the stickiness of the exposed side.
2. Second of all, you need to apply double-sided tape on the first surface or material that requires it. Be careful how you position the tape: you must be precise and not make any piece of tape visible once the second surface is applied to it.
3. Finally, press the second surface or material to the first one, in order to make them perfectly coincide. You might need to press for a few seconds to ensure the best tape adhesion.
Actually, this is the regular way to use double-sided tape, but there's a lot more!
Another great advantage of double-sided tape is that it’s extremely versatile and can be used in many different ways, for many different reasons. And unlike other forms of fastening, it’s less “invasive” and aggressive on surfaces.
Let’s look at 4 quick and easy ways to employ double-sided tape:
1. It can be used instead of screws: screws fix only in certain points, while tape can fix the whole perimeter of the surface, and so provide greater adhesion. Not to mention the fact that screws obviously end up damaging your wall, while double-sided tape doesn’t.
2. If you want to test something and see how it looks on the wall in a certain position, you can apply double-sided tape prior to permanently fastening. If you like it, you can then fasten it with a stronger tape; if not, you can remove the previous tape without leaving any residue.
3. It’s perfect to protect floors: if you’re painting walls or having constructions in your house, you can apply felt carpets on the floors with double-sided tape and make sure to protect them from every potential damage, like paint splashes and dust.
4. Specifically in cities, excessive sound is becoming a big issue. Double-sided tape can be used to attach foam to wall panels or flooring underlayment to floors, as a permanent soundproof solution.
Seems incredible, but double-sided tape does all that and even more! Just make sure to choose the right one for you.
In doing so, there are a few things you should consider: such as materials, temperature, and weight. Here is some additional advice you might need:
Once this is settled, you can be assured that double-sided tape will stick through thick and thin.
PPM knows all this very well, which is why it provides a full range of double-sided tapes, specifically designed to answer different adhesion needs, from generic to very specific, for both professional and home use.
If you’re interested in our selection of double sided tapes, don’t hesitate to contact us! We will help you find the double-sided tape right for you.Contact us
Please write to us.
We will be glad to answer your enquiries.