Automotive tape manufacturers
One of the main fields of application for PPM’s tape is definitely the body shop field. PPM is an automotive tape manufacturer, specialized in manufacturing tape that is specifically designed to mask auto parts that are not supposed to be painted.
In the automotive aftermarket and body shop field, tape is in fact mostly used as a masking tool, when painting auto parts; which is the reason why it’s called masking tape. Masking tape is designed to be gentle enough not to ruin the freshly applied paint beneath it, but also tough enough to be able to hold through high temperatures and not let any paint drip through it.
Masking tape was actually invented back in 1925 specifically for this reason. Its inventor, Richard Drew (a sandpaper manufacturer) noticed how body shop employees would get so frustrated with using butcher paper: the aggressive tape would end up chipping away the paint they had just applied and touch ups would increase costs. So, he realized the need for gentler tape and that’s how automotive tape manufacturers started producing masking tape.
Masking tape allows to get crisp, clean, razor-sharp edges; it’s easy to apply, easy to tear by hand, doesn’t lift or let pain seep through; but most importantly, it doesn’t leave any residue when removed.
Automotive tape manufacturers: PPM’s selection
PPM is a very versatile and flexible automotive tape manufacturer, which is why it just didn’t settle with one kind of automotive masking tape, but had to expand its range as much as possible, in order to be able to offer its clients the fullest amount of options existing.
PPM manufactures 5 different kinds of automotive masking tapes, all with different levels of adhesion and temperature resistance. Let’s take a look at them:
- 3008 Entry Level Body Shop Masking Tape: this tape is made of saturated crepe paper backing and a solvent-based adhesive; it’s designed for any type of paint and applications with moderate temperature drying cycles of up to 60°C for 60 minutes.
- 3009 Medium Grade Body Shop Masking Tape: this tape is made of a saturated crepe paper backing and a solvent-based adhesive; it’s designed to withstand high temperature drying cycles of up to 80°C for 60 minutes.
- 3010 High Grade Body Shop Masking Tape: this tape is made of a saturated crepe paper backing and a solvent-based adhesive; it’s designed for automotive refinishing with high temperature drying cycles of up to 90°C for 60 minutes or 110°C for 30 minutes.
- 3610 AquaColor Body Shop Masking Tape: this tape is characterized by a crepe paper backing and a solvent borne rubber resin adhesive; it guarantees superb resistance to moisture, water and solvent base paints; it also withstands spray painting and drying operations with a temperature resistance of up to 90°C for 60 minutes or 110°C for 30 minutes.
- 5040 Automotive Fine Line Masking Tape: this tape is made of a Japanese washi paper backing and a water based acrylic adhesive; it withstands drying cycles at high temperatures up to 120°C for 60 minutes; it’s ideal to mask small and curved auto body parts like profiles, bumpers, head and bottom lights and car handles; it can also be applied to different surfaces like aluminum, plastics, rubber and glass.
As you can see, PPM is an automotive tape manufacturer that really has it all! Depending on the auto job you need to get done, PPM has a full range of body shop masking tapes that will satisfy all your needs. Also, PPM offers a private label service: this means that it can provide you with a fully personalized range of automotive tape, with your own logo on both the tape and the packaging.